Sunday, September 11, 2011

Thoughts on Transition


Three weeks have passed since I moved to Missouri. I am less than four months from getting married {!!!!!!!!}. I am hoping to hear about a job this week.

My house is completely out of boxes, and thanks to my mom and Aunt Joyce, everything is set-up too. I have gotten to see Damon once and my future in-laws twice. Chance is doing well and everyone likes him at the barn.

So what about grad school?!? Well, books such as "What Am I Feeling?" "Far As the Curse is Found," and "Anatomy of the Soul," are on my current reading list, with 15 others coming quickly behind them. I have loved the topics that we have covered so far.

I hear the question you are begging to ask. "Natalie, you aren't really in grad school. You are at seminary. What is that like? Isn't it so weird?"

It is true. I am pursuing a Masters of Arts in Counseling at a seminary. Before college the word "seminary" would have freaked me out. I thought that was a place for monks and nuns. For the most part, however, "seminary" and grad school really are not different. We have reading assignments and due dates. Our professors are educated in top schools around the world, and I often leave class day-dreaming about being as smart as them.

If I am completely honest, however, there was one "Wow, I am at seminary!" moment. It was two weeks ago at the convocation ceremony. I wish I had had a camera. I was in class right before the ceremony and our professor said he had to "dress up." I thought he meant a suit and tie. Oh boy was I wrong. "Dressing up" happens to give a historical nod to the men who were instrumental in forming the foundations of the church. Our twenty-first century professors may or may not have dressed like this guy:


Next year, I am bringing a camera. It was wonderful. We sang great hymns, and I got goose-bumps as we were given our "charge" for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment