Monday, September 14, 2009

A Word on Non-Ministry Things...

Happy Monday, Everyone!

As many of you know, I was blessed to be able to bring my horse with me to Oklahoma. This has been a great source of comfort and familiarity in a place where many things continue to be foreign to me. It is great to be able to spend some of my free time out in the country with my faithful steed, Chance. I thought I would share these pictures of my pretty boy...

Being able to have my horse here is just another way in which God has been faithful to me in this time in transition. I have been riding since I was seven and have owned Chance for nine years. Thinking about not bringing him to Oklahoma was very hard. In His ever mysterious ways, however, God provided a way for me to bring him and a place for me to keep him here in Norman.

Ok, so now a word on things related to my job. I thought I might mention some of the books I have been reading. Two books I completed for my study program are Putting Amazing Back into Grace by Michael Horton and The Enduring Community by Brian Hebig and Les Newsome. Putting Amazing Back into Grace is a book which goes through the beliefs of Calvinism. It is thorough and thick. Not for the faint of heart, this book will answer all of those pesky questions you might have lingering about Reformed theology. The Enduring Community, which was written by two RUF campus ministers, explains the role of the church in the modern community. It talks about people who "church-shop" and what the Bible has to say about it. I really enjoyed this book! As someone in their early twenties, I enjoyed the Biblical perspective they took on church membership, which will undoubtedly shape a lot of the rest of my life.

I enjoyed getting to go to my first Sooner football game this weekend. The Sooners trounced Idaho State 64-0. It was a cold and wet game, but was enjoyable as I sat with a group of RUF students and cheered on the Sooners. We enjoyed dinner at Raising Cane's (equivalent to Zaxby's in Florida) afterward and watched a movie together. It was a great weekend here in Norman! I am speechless at God's daily provisions.

This coming weekend the Sooners will face the University of Tulsa. OU RUF looks forward to hosting the RUF from Tulsa at our tailgate.

Freshmen Bible Study went well last week. We had 8 people attend. Please continue to pray for these freshmen as they are one month into their first semesters, and undoubtedly beginning to feel the pressures of school. Pray they would turn to Jesus in this time and that RUF would lovingly welcome into the group. Thank you, once again, for your prayers and support!

5 comments:

  1. Natalie! I hope life as an RUF intern is going great for you. I am feeling more at home as each week passes, although the change is sometimes hard. I am constantly amazed that God would use such a broken tool for his work, it is very humbling. I smiled when I read that you went to Cane's... we had one in Fort Collins and I loved it. I will definitely have to try out Zaxby's if they are similar. I went to the first two games in The Swamp, awesome stuff. I knew you were there in spirit, I felt you hovering over the RUF block. I am trying to get a ticket to the Tennessee game this weekend... I hear they're Volunteering to be GATOR BAIT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So when am I going to ride Chance bareback?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zaxby's does not equal Cane's in any capacity aside from the fact both names are possessives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww Chancers...give the old boy a carrot for me!:)
    so so glad OU is treating you well so far...keep up the good work Natalie.
    missing you (and Chance!) here in Gator Country!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pics of Chance! My time in Wyoming made me quite fond of equine-related photography. Would love to see him in a full-on gallop.

    ReplyDelete