Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Humans vs. Zombies

This week I have been reminded that working in campus ministry means that you are able to do totally over-the-top completely ridiculous and yet excessively stimulating things every once in a while. What am I talking about exactly?!? Humans vs. Zombies, of course! humansvszombies.org

In an effort to do an outreach event similar to Assassins, OU RUF sponsored our very own HVZ game. We thought 75 people might register. 764 people did.

It has been crazy. I have been wearing a bandana (almost) everywhere I go. I always have socks with me in case I need to stun a zombie and make a getaway. I am always looking over my shoulder to see if I am being snuck up on. I see complete strangers on campus and smile, because they are wearing a bandana on the arm or leg (denoting them as a human) and I know that we are both survivors of the human race (for right now). The number of humans is getting smaller, and the zombies are getting more frantic as they need to tag (feed) on humans in order to stay a live.

We are having a dance party on Friday night. Humans vs. Zombies 1980s theme. Yes!

OU RUF has been featured in the campus rag twice this week. Once for HVZ and the other because Dr. Os Guinness came to speak to our campus. 10 campus ministries, including RUF, brought in the "Veritas Forum" to talk about suffering and injustice in the wake of the 15th anniversary of the Oklahoma City Bombing. Check out the veritas forum: veritas.org

Dr. Guinness was very engaging and did a wonderful job speaking to about 300 people. I will admit my own skepticism in that I did not feel like people would come to this forum, even though the topic is interesting and relevant. The turnout was great though. He addressed topics that I often speak to students about. When faced with the question "Why was evil allowed to exist?" He responded the same way I do, "I don't know. No one does." I know have a copy of his book "The Call," and am excited to read it.

We leave for summer conference in a mere 3 weeks! Boomer Sooner!

2 comments:

  1. The Call is so good! I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you get the prize for updating your blog most regularly. :-)

    ReplyDelete